Chief details timeline, suspect history in Feb. 8 fatal police shooting near Walmart

Las Cruces police released new details and video timelines Tuesday about the Feb. 8 fatal shooting of a suspect who fired at officers near Walmart on South Valley Drive.

Chief details timeline, suspect history in Feb. 8 fatal police shooting near Walmart
(Las Cruces Police Department / YouTube)

Five Las Cruces officers fired after suspect shot at police during multi-scene encounter across Valley Drive area

Damien Willis, Organ Mountain News

LAS CRUCES - Las Cruces Police Chief Jeremy Story on Tuesday released new details, video and a timeline of the Feb. 8 fatal police shooting of a suspect who opened fire on officers near a South Valley Drive Walmart, triggering a multi-scene encounter that unfolded in minutes across a busy commercial area.

Story said the suspect, identified as 28-year-old Johnny Ray Morales, fired first and shot at multiple officers during three separate exchanges with officers. Five Las Cruces police officers discharged their weapons during the incident. No officers were struck by gunfire, though one officer was injured in a fall after shots were fired.

The case remains under investigation by a multi-agency task force that will present findings to the 3rd Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Timeline of events and initial confrontation

According to Story, the incident began about 7:14 a.m. Feb. 8 when Morales entered the Walmart at 1550 S. Valley Drive, took an unlocked bicycle from the sporting goods section and rode out of the store without paying.

An officer working a uniformed outside-employment assignment at the store was alerted by Walmart staff and moved to stop Morales less than a minute after being notified of the theft.

“Before the officer was able to speak to him, Mr. Morales fired rounds, two rounds directly at the officer and fled,” Story said.

Surveillance video and body camera footage shown during the briefing depicted Morales firing at the officer near the store’s exterior. The officer fell but was not struck by the gunfire.

Morales then fled north toward nearby businesses and a hotel, prompting a rapid response by additional officers.

Las Cruces Police Chief Jeremy Story speaks at a podium during a Feb. 17, 2026 news conference about the Feb. 8 fatal police shooting, with a department logo backdrop behind him.
Las Cruces Police Chief Jeremy Story outlines new details and video from the Feb. 8 fatal police shooting during a news conference Tuesday at City Hall. (Courtesy photo / City of Las Cruces / YouTube)

Multiple shooting exchanges across commercial corridor

Story described three separate shooting exchanges that occurred within roughly six minutes.

A second encounter occurred between businesses near Blake’s Lotaburger and Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Video shown by police indicated Morales fired at a second officer during that exchange.

A third series of shots followed minutes later as Morales moved through a drainage area and toward Valley Drive while still armed.

“At that last moment, he’s running toward Valley armed with a handgun after he’d already fired on two police officers,” Story said. “Our job is to protect not only ourselves but the public.”

Police recovered a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm handgun from Morales that had been reported stolen in Truth or Consequences. Investigators said Morales fired two rounds at the first officer and at least one round at another officer during the subsequent encounters.

All five officers who fired their weapons have been placed on standard administrative paid leave pending the outcome of the investigation and required reviews.

Officer injuries and investigation status

No officers were struck by gunfire. The first officer who confronted Morales suffered injuries from a fall after the shots were fired. Story said the extent of those injuries is still being evaluated.

Investigators are continuing to gather video evidence from surrounding businesses and reviewing body camera footage. Story declined to provide a timeline for completion of the investigation, citing the volume of evidence.

The multi-agency task force includes investigators from New Mexico State Police, the Las Cruces Police Department, the Doña Ana County Sheriff’s Office and New Mexico State University Police. The group will compile evidence and present it to the district attorney for review.

Suspect history and bond status

During the briefing, Story outlined Morales’ criminal history and recent contacts with law enforcement, noting that Morales was out of custody at the time of the shooting on a $2,500 bond for felony charges, including child abuse, felon in possession of a firearm and possession of a stolen firearm.

Morales also had been arrested in October on a separate felony drug charge and released the following day on an unsecured bond, meaning no payment was required for release.

Story said Morales had numerous prior arrests and documented contacts with law enforcement, including multiple weapons-related incidents and probation or parole violations.

“What I will say is that if our system doesn’t take into account the entire history automatically, then that’s a problem,” Story said. “There’s several layers of failures that we have to do better in our state.”

Story said he did not have enough information to assign responsibility for Morales’ release but raised concerns about how repeat offenders are evaluated for release under current law.

Use of force and de-escalation

Story said officers had no opportunity to de-escalate once Morales began firing.

“De-escalation requires cooperation,” he said. “Before the officer could say a single word, he’s fired upon. Before the next officer starts, he gives commands and then he’s fired upon. There is no opportunity for de-escalation when you’re actively being fired upon.”

He said officers attempted to establish cover and contain the suspect as he moved through the area, but emphasized that Morales remained armed and had already fired at police.

Outside-employment clarification

Story also addressed questions about the first officer’s status, clarifying that the officer was working a uniformed outside-employment assignment and was not off duty in the traditional sense.

Under department policy, officers working such assignments are in uniform and performing law enforcement duties but are paid through a third-party contract rather than directly by the city.

Ongoing review

All evidence gathered by the task force will be submitted to the district attorney’s office for review once the investigation is complete. Officials said additional video may be released publicly as it becomes available.

Video shown during Tuesday’s briefing is available on the Las Cruces Police Department’s Facebook page and the city’s YouTube channel, or watch it in its entirety below.

(City of Las Cruces / YouTube)

Damien Willis is founder and editor of Organ Mountain News. He can be reached at OrganMountainNews@gmail.com or on X at @damienwillis.

Keep reading:
Jury convicts Las Cruces man of first-degree murder in Young Park triple homicide — Verdict brings accountability in one of the city’s most high-profile murder cases.
Las Cruces woman charged with intentional child abuse resulting in death of newborn — Police allege infant was left in a portable toilet after being born.
Suspect charged with voluntary manslaughter in fatal West Amador Avenue shooting — Police outline events leading to deadly confrontation in January.

Sign up for Organ Mountain News, our free email newsletter

Get the latest headlines right in your inbox