Teen pleads guilty to all felony counts in Strykers Shooting World burglary

Javon Fielder, 17, pleaded guilty to eight felony counts in the 2025 burglary of Strykers Shooting World in Las Cruces.

Teen pleads guilty to all felony counts in Strykers Shooting World burglary
Surveillance footage shows two people inside Strykers Shooting World during the November 2025 burglary in Las Cruces. (Courtesy photo / Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office)

Javon Fielder, 17, pleaded guilty an hour before jury selection was set to begin; prosecutors are seeking an adult sentence

Damien Willis, Organ Mountain News

LAS CRUCES - A 17-year-old charged in the November 2025 burglary of Strykers Shooting World pleaded guilty to all eight felony counts against him just one hour before jury selection was scheduled to begin.

Javon Fielder pleaded guilty Aug. 18 to aggravated burglary and seven other felony counts stemming from the break-in, according to the Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office.

Prosecutors are seeking an adult sentence.

Javon was 16 when prosecutors say he and five other teenagers carried out the Nov. 22 burglary at the Las Cruces gun store.

Surveillance video showed the group using a stolen Kia Forte to ram through a security gate about 2 a.m., then using the vehicle to ram an aluminum roll-up door and gain entry to the business, according to the DA’s office.

Prosecutors said Javon was armed with an axe and the teenagers wore face masks, gloves and hoodies to conceal their identities.

Once inside, surveillance footage showed the group ransacking the business and using a firearm to break a glass display case.

Nine handguns, two rifles and a shotgun were stolen.

Surveillance image showing a red Kia Forte pushing through a security gate at Strykers Shooting World in Las Cruces.
Surveillance footage shows a stolen Kia Forte ramming a security gate at Strykers Shooting World during the November 2025 burglary in Las Cruces. (Courtesy photo / Third Judicial District Attorney’s Office)

Class schedule helped identify suspects

The group fled about five minutes after entering the store in another stolen vehicle, a Kia Rio, prosecutors said.

Police later recovered the abandoned vehicle.

During a search, investigators found a class schedule belonging to one of the defendants, according to the DA’s office. Prosecutors said the discovery helped investigators identify and arrest the teenagers.

District Attorney Fernando Macias described the burglary as one of the most serious juvenile cases his office is prosecuting and characterized it as a “military-style operation” because of the planning, coordination and number of firearms stolen.

Support local journalism

Organ Mountain News provides independent reporting for southern New Mexico without a paywall. If you value this work, please consider supporting the newsroom with a one-time or monthly contribution.

Support Organ Mountain News

Second defendant to resolve case

Javon is the second defendant to resolve his case.

Josiah Rocha, 17, pleaded no contest to the charges in June.

Both teenagers are awaiting amenability hearings, which will determine whether they are sentenced under New Mexico’s juvenile code or as adults.

The DA’s office is seeking adult sentences for both.

The other four defendants are awaiting trial.

While detained pending trial, Javon was also charged with misdemeanor aggravated battery involving another juvenile inmate, according to prosecutors. That separate charge has not been resolved.

The cases are being prosecuted by Macias and Assistant District Attorney Anne Swank and were investigated by the Las Cruces Police Department.

Damien Willis is founder and editor of Organ Mountain News. If you have a personal story to share or a lead we should follow up on, reach out at OrganMountainNews@gmail.com or connect with him on X at @damienwillis.

Keep Reading

LCPS pays $11.3M for annual insurance coverage, up 14% from last year — District officials say rising property, liability and workers’ compensation costs are driving the increase.

Sunland Park voters to decide $8.25M bond package in November — Three ballot questions would fund recreation, public safety, roads and water and wastewater projects.

State Supreme Court asked to table Project Jupiter air quality permit process — New Energy Economy is asking justices to halt the proceeding before a Sept. 14 hearing, alleging due-process violations.

Cut through the noise

Sign up for our free email newsletter to receive the latest headlines from Organ Mountain News